I checked my automatic Microsoft updates today and one of them was Internet Explorer 8. This update is good news because IE 8 includes Silverlight. It means a lot more people will be able to experience SL applications. Very good move from Microsoft.

Here's the proof that I'm not making this up:

The close-up:

Important!!!: Reads the comments below.

Currently rated 3.4 by 7 people

• Currently 3.428571/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Related posts

Comments

Bill Reiss us

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:54 AM

This is cool, it's a special "MSN Edition" of IE8 that includes the MSN Toolbar which was written in Silverlight and that's how they can get away with "bundling" Silverlight there. This version shows up first on Live Search, but if you search on google for Internet Explorer 8 download, it's not the first link unfortunately.

John Sheehan

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:36 AM

You should have highlighted the part at the top of the screen that says "Optimized for MSN". This isn't the standard IE8 build that's going out over Windows Update which doesn't include Silverlight. The page you show is a special MSN version.

Thierry Bouquain fr

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 11:14 PM

It's the customized version of IE8 for MSN which includes silverlight. If you download IE8 from microsoft downloads you won't get silverlight.

Silverlight Girl

Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:33 AM

Oooh, I see... So I've been jumping up and down for nothing?

Thank you Bill, John and Thierry for clearing this up.

I downloaded the update right away yesterday, installed it but I must have done something wrong because I just restarted my computer and IE8 shines by its absence so I didn't even get to try it yet.

Now I see (on my screenshots) that my excitement made me overlook everything around the word "Silverlight" ;)

Bill Reiss us

Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:41 AM

It's not all bad, a lot of people will probably install the MSN version of IE8, and surprisingly enough the Java installer optionally installs MSN Toolbar now (which includes Silverlight), and of course the Windows Live Essentials suite includes Silverlight by default.

According to riastats.com, Silveright has been consistently gaining about 3% install base per month, which at that rate would put it at about 50% by year's end. Still not stellar, but if you can say "over half of the users already have it" you may be able to start making the argument, and hopefully that 3% rate will increase as more apps use it.

Silverlight Girl

Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:54 AM

The future of Silverlight's success in popularity looks all good to me, blindfolded!

John OBrien au

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 9:41 AM

If it helps I've had zero resistance from users to install silverlight for new intranet applications. We're doing a tonne of stuff with the new Virtual Earth control and they all love silverlight. Credit to Microsoft for being very trustworthing and keeping an eye on security even if that means we don't get all the functionality of Flash (full screen scrollwheel).
Since Win7 does not include Messenger by default, you have to install Windows Live Essentials which also contains Silverlight2 optionally.
Won't be long till MSFT can claim 105% of users have Silverlight installed like Adobe does with flash ;)

silverlightweb.com.cn